Rotiboy was founded in Bukit Mertajam, Penang, Malaysia in 1998, driven by the Founder’s purpose in building an organisation that not only make life better for himself but also for the people and community around him.
The first Rotiboy was a neighbourhood bakery which baked fresh breads and loafs for household, kids to bring to school, cakes for birthdays celebrations, home-makers were our best friends.
In 2001 Rotiboy left Penang for the Klang Valley driven by the new ideas and concepts in the retail bakery industry in search for greater excellence and possibilities.
In 2002, driven by the freshly baked "one bun that rule us all", Rotiboy started the "Bun Revolution" that went global from 2003 starting from Singapore. To date, we have baked more than 400 million buns and still baking in our 200 over stores with presence in Indonesia, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Myanmar and China.
We anticipate that the future will bring us to shores of more Asian markets and also to the American and European markets.The Brand Name
The name "Rotiboy" has its beginnings in the bond between the founder and his nephew. They are close ever since the nephew's birth in 1996, with the nephew crawling to the uncle's bed every morning and the uncle, sometimes drinking milk from his bottle. One fine day, the founder's brother was teasing his nephew by calling him "naughty-boy" and that inspired "Rotiboy". "Roti" means "Bread". Therefore, Rotiboy literally, means "Breadboy", a name very suitable for a bakery in multi-racial Malaysia.The Bun Name
What started out as a brand name also evolved into the name of the "one bun that rule them all". Being unfamiliar with the bun that was new in the market, customers started to refer to the bun as "rotiboy" and eventually "rotiboy" was adopted as the name of the bun that brought us to where we are. To date, we have baked more than 400 million buns and we are still baking.Our Customers' Versions
Filled with butter and topped with coffee flavoured topping, Rotiboy it is a bun like no other. Best when it is fresh from the oven, it has a crispy exterior and moist, soft insides, exuding a sweet beautiful aroma that seduces the masses to enjoy the "I tasted heaven...", "wonderful bun", "bundelicious" experience that no any other buns can deliver. Certainly, its unique taste and aroma have attracted various accolades such as "One bun to rule them all", "no other bun comes close…"
Rotiboy, as an institution is the realisation of a desire by the founder to build something to improve his life and at the same time able to contribute to and make a positive difference to the people around him.
Rotiboy, as a brand name also reflects the personal bond and relationship between the Founder and his then 1.5 years old nephew.
In essence, Rotiboy is about all about people and relationships and making a positive difference in this world.The How
Running a business is no different than living our own life.
In this respect, serving and contributing to society and community is part of the values of the founder and the culture of Rotiboy, with the aspiration to touch and make a positive difference to the lives of the people of this world.
Putting people interests before any commercial interests is the foundation of our business.
It is also about building a culture that creates a sense of belonging for our team members where each member would walk the talk, being consistent in values and being responsible for each of our own choices.
It is about Rotiboy’s constant dedication to a culture of Excellence in all aspects in the bakery and retail industry, serving safe, quality products with personal and warm service.
It is about providing a conducive environment for learning and personal development and growth to all members so as to improve the standard of living of each members.
It is being honest and transparent with our business partners and associates in all dealings so as to ensure all parties benefits from any collaboration. Sharing challenges and harvest is our partnership philosophy.
It is about practising nature and earth friendly policies and practises so as to play our small part in preserving the planet for future generations.
It is about practising the Values of Integrity, Honesty, Responsibility and Morality in our daily lives in serving the needs of Rotiboy Friends, Fans and Community.Our Vision
The Rotiboy vision is to be an outstanding global brand that touches the lives of all the people in the world through our products, services and values.Our Mission
Founder & Leader of the Rotiboy® Bun Revolution – Hiro Tan
Hiro Tan is the Founder of Rotiboy. Born in a sleepy village in on a hot late morning in Batu Ferringhi, on the tropical island Penang, Hiro’s childhood days are a challenge as his younger adult days.
Events that shaped Hiro’s purpose includes ponteng school for 2 weeks, due to not able to pay school fees, losing the10 Sen daily school allowance in primary schooldays, seeing how his mother struggle to take care and bring up the family, and seeing a friend younger than him having a baby just after leaving school.
Other such events that shaped his life’s purpose are his struggle to complete his Tertiary education, having no source of income or support from the family. But as God would provide, Hiro got free meals from some kind souls led by James in Melawati and financial and material support from his cousin brothers and sisters in Kuala Lumpur.
All the above and a bit more made Hiro realise that he has to help himself before he can help others and that developed into his purpose of building something that can make a positive difference to himself and others around him.
The journey towards realizing that purpose in Rotiboy has its challenges as well.
The first venture into the fresh mushroom business did not succeed but provided two valuable lessons. Never venture in to a business when:
One does not have proper expertise in that business, and One does not have sufficient ready funding for the business. A short but enriching stint of 9 months with Prudential Assurance enhanced Hiro's understanding about human values, about doing the right thing.
Training as a Station Manager for Singapore Airlines in 1991 ended in "disaster" but also made Hiro aware of the intricacies of Excellent Customer Service. Meeting challenges and exceeding expectations becomes a natural and indispensable trait and commitment. One significant effect of the "disaster" is the realization of what human compassion and corporate compassion means and that is one value that is very evident in Rotiboy's human resource policies.
Starting Rotiboy in 1998 is only beginning of a long and challenging journey to realize a certain amount of progress towards fulfilling his purpose.
Embarking on this journey would not have been possible without the assistance his elder sister who provided all recipes and most importantly the rotiboy bun and his younger brother and mother who are actively assisting him in the early stages of the journey.
Leading the Rotiboy business to what it is today is often fraught with challenges within and without the organisation. While much time and effort is spent to build the company and brand much credit also goes to God for the blessings and providence throughout the 19 years journey.
Hiro Tan is all about passion, focus, perseverance, determination and undying commitment. Today, Hiro Tan is about achieving success without compromising on his values, creating wealth to be shared with his colleagues, accepting development without destroying the planet, wielding power with compassion. Most of it all, Hiro Tan is about making a positive difference to the people around him.
Noble intentions that may not be fully achievable but then again, everything starts with a dream and an intention, don't they?
Success is when we achieve anything we set out to achieve, tiny, huge or small, without sacrificing our values and beliefs.
Personal success is when we are able to elevate the status and standard of living for all the people in the organisation. Success is not driving expensive cars and have a big house when there are people in the organisation that does not have food on the table or able to provide education to their children.
“VALUE OF MONEY”
One Ringgit on the table of a wage earner is more valuable than the Thousands of ringgit sitting in the bank account of a rich man.
“WAS AND IS”
It does not really matter what we were and where we came from but it does matter what we have become and what values we have adopted.
“LIFE AND BUSINESS”
Running a business is like living our life. We must adopt
1. HOW ROTIBOY NAME COMES ABOUT? The name "Rotiboy" was family-generated. "One day, my brother was referring to my nephew as a naughty boy. It brings to mind Rotiboy. Beautiful name. GOD sent." Quoted from the founder, Mr. Hiro Tan. The logo is fashioned after the child's facial features
2. WHAT IS ROTIBOY? Rotiboy Bakeshoppe started out as the name of the bakery business. Today Rotiboy is the brand of a bun that have sold tens of millions in the region. Rotiboy has become a generic name for Mexican buns. Every time a consumer sees a similar looking bun, they would refer it as Rotiboy, not knowing that there exists a huge difference in taste, quality and satisfaction between the Mexican buns sold elsewhere and the Rotiboy sold in Rotiboy stores.
3. WHEN WAS ROTIBOY BAKESHOPPE ESTABLISHED? 1998.
4. WHERE IS THE FIRST ROTIBOY BAKESHOPPE LOCATED? Bukit Mertajam, Penang (Pearl Of Orient) , Malaysia.
5. WHERE IS ROTIBOY HEADQUARTERED? Lot 159 Jalan Industri 2/2 Rawang Integrated Industrial Park 48000
Rawang, Selangor Darul Ehsan, Malaysia
Tel : 603 6091 7202, Fax: 603 6091 9202
6. HOW MANY ROTIBOY BAKESHOPPE STORES NOW GLOBALLY? Currently, Rotiboy has 12 stores in Malaysia, 35 stores in Indonesia, 150 stores in South Korea.
7. IS ROTIBOYBUN SIMILAR TO MEXICAN BUN? Rotiboy or Rotiboybun is Rotiboy Bakeshoppe's unique version of the Mexican Bun.
8. WHERE CAN YOU FIND ROTIBOYBUNS? Rotiboy is only available at Rotiboy Bakeshoppe stores.
9. WHAT OTHER PRODUCTS ARE THERE IN ROTIBOY STORES? Besides the signature product, Rotiboy stores have different mixed of products in different countries. In Malaysia there's a complete range of products from Breads, Sandwiches, Loaf, Puffs & pastries, Muffins, cakes, beverages to Light meal. In Korea we are mini cafe's delivering Buns, Coffee and Ice cream. In Indonesia, they are specialty stores which only carry the signature product.
10. WHAT IS ROTIBOY ASPIRATION? A Bun for every being. Food for every hungry soul. Health for every inhabitant of this planet. A positive difference to everyone.
11. WHAT IS SO GREAT ABOUT ROTIBOY? Many have said the first bite of Rotiboy is like the first kiss, you will never forget how it touches your tongue. Some said "I tasted heaven" , some said "I tasted opportunity", some said both. Others said "wonderful bun" and "bundelicious". We would say a GIFT from GOD and a TOOL to touch the lives of the people of the world. We offer a bun that taste like no other, dreamt for like no other, talked of like no other, sold like no other and we are the first and the best, like no other. It is after our resounding success that we have a big crowd following us to try their luck by trying to make and sell the same type of bun. While those that come after us are driven by commerce, Rotiboy is driven by passion, day and night, 24/7 the whole year round.
12. WHAT IS SO AMAZING ABOUT ROTIBOY? Amazing things happen in Amazing Thailand. Have u ever come across buns being sold in black market at a price 40% - 60% higher than its retail price? Well, it happened in Bangkok in the first 9 months of being in the market where customers queue one hour before opening and each limited to only 10 buns.
13. WHY TAKE OUR WORD FOR IT? You do not have to take our word for it. Go to a Rotiboy store and ask for our hot hot rotiboybun, (in case you are unaware, the bun is never on display) eat it and maybe you can tell us how great it is. We WILL take your word for it!